Cars of the future are going to drive themselves and provide you with a multitouch interface to get information on the road. We are not there just yet. But you can use Navdy to keep up with your messages and get directions in a smarter fashion as you drive. It is perfect for folks who simply can’t get enough of their smartphone. It is a portable device you put on your dashboard to get information while your eyes are on the road.
Navdy has a projector that puts the UI on a transparent screen in your field of view. You don’t have to adjust your focus to see the information you need. It is compatible with iOS and Android phones. You can use hand gestures and voice to control it.
Navdy keeps you in control. Notifications on your phone can be displayed, read aloud, or dismissed, so you decide what you want to see. There are even parental controls. Here are the specs:
- 5.1″ wide transparent Head-Up Display
- IR camera for touchless commands
- Accelerometer, e-compass, ambient light sensor
- WiFi (802.11 b/g/n), Bluetooth 4.0/LE
- Internal speaker and microphone
- Dual core processor running Android 4.4
- OBD-II power and data connection to carcomputer, with optional 12 volt power adapter
- Portable design
- Ships early 2015
You can get one of these for $299. It certainly sounds like a very impressive in-car HUD system, don’t you think?